Monday 10 November 2008

HOPE IS THE THING WITH FEATHERS





There are lots of lines about HOPE being quoted these days, including some of Obama's memorable words. Here is one of Emily Dickinson's famous pithy poems, perhaps a little more sentimental than her usual style. But, hey, in this "defining moment" in history, "faith, hope and love (aka charity)" are just what we need, in abundance, and from all the sources we can gather.

And while I couldn't find any images of Barack with feathers, I did find one of Michelle, representing the values of her husband. Please note her corsage of purple feathers.

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all,
And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.
I've heard it in the chilliest land
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.
....Emily Dickinson....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that poem! In fact, I've used the bit about hope and feathers in at least one speech . . . Well chosen.

Anonymous said...

I love the photo you found of Michelle Obama with her purple feather brooch. Perfect tie-in to Dickinson's 'Hope' poem! Michelle is an incredible 'speechifier' in her own right.

...'Michelle, representing the values of her husband'. A defining moment in history indeed.

I will keep an eye out for a photo of Barack Obana wearing feathers
(grin) Thank you Marylou .

Anonymous said...

Marylou, I noticed the feed you have from Huffington Post and that led to me reading from 'Geezersister' latest Blog entry...'the endless life of a first lady'. I've always wondered about Laura Bush myself. Quiet, bright, used to be a librarian and a Democrat! 'An eternal smile pasted on her face'. The question is asked 'what does she think of her husband's presidency?
I wonder how Michelle Obama will deal with it all. She seems to have such a strong sense of self doesn't she? Perhaps another Eleanor Roosevelt?